Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 9: Guangzhou

It's 8:38pm on Sunday night and the rest of my little family has been sound asleep for about an hour. I thought I'd catch up on the last few days before I forgot everything! It's pouring outside, but it is still lovely. The lightning and thunder are incredible, if not a bit disheartening being in a high rise hotel! The Chinese lullabies are playing on the iPod for Makena, and CNN is on TV for Charlie...they are both completely out! It was a long day. We started with a tour of the Chen Family House, which would have been much more interesting had it not been one of the most hot and humid days in my experience! Mak was miserable, as you can probably tell from the photo! We also got to use our brand-new umbrella stroller today! Woohoo! What a great purchase - for a mere $25 US dollars, I was relieved of the incredible back pain that is carrying around a sleeping and/or squirming one-year-old. Awesome! Our other big outing was to a government store. There is a lot of counterfeiting in China, and it is recommended that you purchase things from government-sponsored stores to avoid problems. We wanted to get Mak a Chinese outfit for her red couch picture, as well as a jade rat pendant (for her birth year), and a jade bangle that I can pass down to her when she gets married (if she gets married...if she doesn't, I'll probably give it to her at 30). It was a fun experience and we could have spent a LOT of money in there! We did get out with only those three things though, so while Charlie wasn't thrilled with the price, at least I wasn't as much of a shopper as the other moms! Wow, did they get some great things (and pay the price too!).
 
We had Papa John's pizza for lunch and then headed to the pool. Makena loves the water. Plain and simple. She also loves the playroom, which is where we went after she screamed so long that we decided that a nap just wasn't in the cards today. On her lifestyle sheet it said "cries before sleep". How true - she screams bloody murder and will not stop if she doesn't want to do something, including sitting on a hotel bed when she is sleepy. Keep in mind that we are in a very small hotel room...the bed is pretty much the only place to sit! It was a very frustrating afternoon - so frustrating in fact, that we skipped the group dinner to the Thai restaurant (bummer....Thai food is my favorite!) and ate in the hotel instead.
 
All of our paperwork is in Veronica's capable hands. Tomorrow morning we get Mak's US Visa picture taken and then we go for her medical check-up. From what I hear, that is not fun, but this too shall pass!

No comments: