Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Potty Training

Potty training is NOT for the faint of heart...or for anyone who cares deeply about the cleanliness of their "stuff"...

Not to go into too much detail, but Makena is mostly potty trained. Her #2 training was complete in November, leaving us with one more thing to tackle. She decided that she wanted to pee on the potty at the end of January. Fast forward to the end of April...she is almost 100% potty trained IF she is wearing a diaper or pull-up. If she has to go, she'll let me know - especially if we are not at home. Her track record outside of the house is MUCH better than when we are home! I say that to say this...I thought that the transition from pull ups to underpants would be easy since we'd gotten so far with her pull ups. And since she was the one who completely initiated it. Boy, was I WRONG! Don't misunderstand though, if I set the timer for every 30 minutes, she'll happily sit on the potty until she goes and then we can be accident free. I've just come to the realization that me telling her when to go does not constitute potty trained! So I am trying something new. She is running around the house in Tinker Bell underpants and she has to tell me when it is time. We're heading into day three and so far we are not doing well. I have mopped up more pee off the floor than I did when we were housebreaking Scout and Boo! If she does start to have an accident, I scoop her up and we "run run run" to the potty. My friend shared some good advice about training for three days and that day number three was the magical day...so I am super hopeful that tomorrow is the day that she gets it! I just think it's so ironic that if I put her in a diaper she won't pee, but if I put her in underpants or leave her naked she pees all over! My poor washer/dryer...

UPDATE: All finished! Potty training was a success...it was over in 6.5 days! Yay for Kena (and for mama!)...

No comments: